Kelley Kilpatrick has a PhD in nursing and heads the Advanced Nursing Practice Research Unit. With over 20 years of experience as an intensive care nurse, Kelley Kilpatrick is also an associate professor at the Ingram School of Nursing at McGill University and the Susan E. French Chair in Nursing Research and Innovative Practice.
Advanced Nursing Practice
- Roles of advanced practice nurses
- Introduction of specialized nurse practitioners
- Changes to interprofessional boundaries
- Perceptions of the effectiveness of nursing team members
- Optimization of interprofessional teams
- Acute and first-line care
- Patients and families
- Canadian Institute for Health Information, First pilot competition: July 2016 to June 2019
- Ministère de la santé et des services sociaux: January 2015 to December 2017
- Réseau de recherche en interventions en sciences infirmières du Québec, Pilot project competition: Fall 2015 to Fall 2016
- Canadian Nurses Association: October 2016 to December 2017
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research: October 2016 to September 2018
- Quebec-Catalonia partnership: International relations and Francophonie-Québec: 2015 to 2017
- Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, Health Services Research Fund: April 2014 to March 2016
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Open Operating Grant Program: October 2013 to September 2016
PublicationsVoir toutes les publications
Kilpatrick, K., Jabbour, M., Tchouaket, E., Acorn, M., Donald, F., & Hains, S. (2019). Implementing primary healthcare nurse practitioners in long term care teams: A qualitative descriptive study. Journal of Advanced Nursing.
Kilpatrick, K., Tchouaket, E., Paquette, L., Guillemette, C., Jabbour, M., Desmeules, F., Landry, V., & Fernandez, N. (2019). Measuring patient and family perceptions of processes in healthcare teams: Questionnaire development and psychometric evaluation. BMC Health Services Research, 19(9).
MacLeod, M.L.P., Stewart, N.J., Kosteniuk, J.G., Penz, K.L., Olynick, J., Karunanayake, C.P., Kilpatrick, K., Kulig, J.C., Martin-Misener, R., Koren, I., Zimmer, L.V., Van Pelt, L., Garraway, L. (2019). Rural and remote registered nurses’ perceptions of working beyond their legislated scope of practice. Canadian Journal of Nursing Leadership, 32(1), 20-29.
Touchette-Boivin, C., & Kilpatrick, K. (2018). Le soutien du leadership transformationnel des infirmières gestionnaires dans un contexte de changement organisationnel : la perspective des infirmières gestionnaires. Science of Nursing and Health Practices,1(2). doi: 10.31770/2561-7516.1008
Martin-Misener, R., Kilpatrick, K., Donald, F., Bryant-Lukosius, D., Rayner, J., Valaitis, R., Carter, N., Miller, P.A., Landry, V., Harbman, P., Charbonneau-Smith, R., McKinlay, R.J., Ziegler, E., Boesveld, S., Lamb. A. (2016). Nurse practitioner caseload in primary health care: Scoping review. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 62, 170-182.
Kilpatrick, K., Jabbour, M., & Fortin, C. (2016). Processes in healthcare teams that include nurse practitioners: What do patients and families perceive to be effective? Journal of Clinical Nursing, 25(5-6), 619-630. doi: 10.1111/jocn.13085
Kilpatrick, K., Tchouaket, E., Carter, N., Bryant-Lukosius, D., & DiCenso, A. (2016). Structural and process factors that influence clinical nurse specialist role implementation. Clinical Nurse Specialist: The International Journal for Advanced Nursing Practice, (30)2, 89-100. Doi:10.1097/NUR.0000000000000182
Kilpatrick, K., Reid, K., Carter, N., Donald, F., Bryant-Lukosius, D., Martin-Misener, R., Kaasalainen, S., Harbman, P., Marshall, D.A., Charbonneau-Smith, R., & DiCenso, A. (2015). A systematic review of the cost-effectiveness of clinical nurse specialists and nurse practitioners in inpatient roles. Canadian Journal of Nursing Leadership,28(3), 56-76.
Kilpatrick, K., Kaasalainen, S., Donald, F., Reid, K., Carter, N., Bryant-Lukosius, D., Martin-Misener, R., Harbman, P., Marshall, D., Charbonneau-Smith, R., DiCenso, A. (2014). The effectiveness and cost effectiveness of clinical nurse specialists in outpatient roles: a systematic review. Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice, 20,1106-1123. doi:10.1111/jep.12219
Kilpatrick, K., DiCenso, A., Bryant-Lukosius, D., Ritchie, J.A., Martin-Misener, R., & Carter, N. (2013). Practice patterns and perceived impact of clinical nurse specialist roles in Canada: Results of a national survey. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 50, 1524–1536.
PhD in nursing
MSc in nursing
- 2017 Junior 2 Research Scholar (FRQS)
- 2013 Junior 1 Research Scholar (FRQS)
- 2010 Postdoctoral fellowship – Advanced Nursing Practice Research Unit (CHSRF/CIHR)
- 2007 Doctoral Fellowship (FRQS)
- 2007 Doctoral Fellowship - Research Chair in Advanced Nursing Practice (FCRSS/IRSC)
- 2006 Doctoral Fellowship (FERASI/IR-CUSM)